Embedded Software Engineer
Reports to – Engineering Manager
Key relationships – Electrical/Electronics Engineers, Mechanical Design Engineer
Newson Gale (part of the Hoerbiger group) is an innovative, forward thinking company and a market leader in providing static control solutions in hazardous areas. With an experienced network of distributors worldwide, the company has offices in the UK, US, Germany and Singapore and is enjoying year on year growth.
Newson Gale electronic design has been carried out by an outside consultancy but these core skills are now going to be brought inhouse and designed by Newson Gale. The current engineering team consists of the Engineering Manager, an Electronics Engineer, an Electrical Engineer, a Service Engineer, a Mechanical Engineer and the Product Manager.
As a Firmware Engineer, your job will be to design seamless, safety critical firmware to work with new and existing Newson Gale products to be installed in hazardous areas. You will lead and implement the development of incorporating embedded systems within the Newson Gale product range adopting the latest technology to meet the changing demand in industry.
You will work closely with the Engineering team and hand-in-hand with the Electronics Engineer to design, develop and test products to ensure they meet the market requirements.
- Ensure software development and testing is completed in line with the project timescales
- Create and maintain technical documentation detailing system requirements, performance analysis, certification documents etc.
- Assist with detailed analysis of product returns/failures, arrange repairs or warranty repairs
- Co-manage new sustaining engineering projects
- Assist with creation of documents required for ATEX/IECEx/cCSAus and Functional Safety product approvals
- Establish a profound understanding of the requirements of BS EN 61508
- Establish a software based PCB design and test facility
- Carry out testing on new and existing products
- Minimum 2:1 Degree or equivalent in Software/Electronic Engineering or related subject
- Experience in Embedded Software development
- Profound understanding of C/C++ Language
- Experience with ARM Core Microprocessors
- Experience in digital and analogue electronics design and good understanding of electronic fundamentals
- Experience in gateway configuration and associated software
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and telephone)
- Excellent maths and computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Willingness to travel in the UK and internationally (full driving license required)
- Knowledge of ATEX, IECEx and cCSAus hazardous area approvals and protection concepts such as Intrinsic Safety
- Understanding/experience of Functional Safety (EN 61508 and MISRA C principles/rules – relevant experience/understanding of the expectations of being employed in a safety driven marketplace
- Experience of working in a structured development process environment
- Knowledge of hardware and communications protocols including: CAN, I2C, SPI, UART etc.
- Knowledge of wireless protocols: Bluetooth, ISA100, Wireless HART etc.
- Control of TFT Displays
- Experience with Visual Basic and Java
- Proactive in promoting new ideas and solutions
- Good problem solving skills and ability to provide solutions
In return the successful candidate will benefit from a competitive salary dependant on the level of experience, excellent bonus opportunities, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, company pension scheme, cover under our income protection and life assurance schemes, childcare voucher scheme and free onsite car parking